nheritance of Genetic Disorders
This unit we are learning about the inheritance pattern of genetic disorders. Some disorders require only a single copy of a mutated gene; these are dominant disorders. Other disorders are recessive in which two copies of the mutated gene are required. Some disorders are carried on one of the two sex chromosomes are called sex-linked disorders.
1. With respect to recessively inherited disorders, why might it be a bad idea to marry your first cousin (genetically speaking)?
2. Find an inherited disorder whose incidence is influenced by your answer above:
- Briefly explain the disorder and the genetics involved.
- Is there a population in which this disorder is more prevalent, and if so, why?
Discussion Topic 2
Genetically Modified Organisms
Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are organisms in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in a manner that does not occur naturally. The technology allows individual genes to be transferred from one organism into another, also between non-related species.
1. Describe two specific examples of a commercially used GMO.
2. What are the benefits of GM foods, in general?
3. What are the main issues of concern for human health?
4. Where do you stand on the use of GM foods?