Start by reading and following these instructions:
- Quickly skim the questions or assignments below and the assignment rubric to help you focus.
- Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook and any additional recommended resources. Some answers may require you to do additional research on the Internet or in other reference sources. Choose your sources carefully.
- Consider the discussion and any insights you gained from it.
- Create your Assignment submission and be sure to cite your sources, use APA style as required, check your spelling.
Responses to each of these questions should be a minimum of 400 words. Cite all outside sources in proper APA format.
- The phrase Manifest Destiny was coined in 1845 to characterize the events of the nation’s western expansion, but some politicians still use this as a rationale for American global actions. Give an example of an American politician who has asserted the principles of Manifest Destiny as a reason for political action. Do you agree with this politician in this instance and with the principles of Manifest Destiny as a whole?
- Choose two specific reform movements discussed in this module. Did these movements seek to transform all of society or were they focused on only select segments, either regionally, racially, or ethnically? To what extent were the objectives of these movements part of a Utopian vision compared to simply adjusting social expectations?
- What can we learn from the patterns of immigration in the mid-1800s that would make assimilation easier for immigrants?