The planets of the Solar System can be divided into two major classes, terrestrial and Jovian planets, but each planet has their own interesting characteristics. With the Stellarium planetarium software, you can get a close up view of the planets and see their features for yourself.
Background Question – Describe three characteristics of a planet that you think you could measure from visual observations.
Object: Explain the purpose of this laboratory assignment in your own words. What do you think you will accomplish or learn from this exercise?
Hypothesis: Write a simple hypothesis connected to planetary features that you will be able to test using the Stellarium software (for example, Jovian planets have faster rotation period than terrestrial planets)
1) Open the Stellarium software. Open the location window (F6) and change the planet to the Sun. This will change our observing location to the center of our Solar System.
2) Open the Sky and Viewing options window (F4). Under the “Sky” tab, uncheck the Atmosphere, Stars, and Dynamic eye adaption. Check “Show planet markers” and “Show planet orbits”.
3) Select the Landscape tab and uncheck “Show ground”.
4) Open the Search window (F3) and enter in Mercury. The view should shift such that the Mercury is in the center of the screen. As long as Mercury is actively select, it will remain in your field of view as you advance time.
5) In the table below, make note of the visible features of Mercury. This can include over color, surface features such as craters or ice caps, presence of an atmosphere and cloud structure, and any visible moons orbiting the planet. You can also advance time and try to observe in the planet has a faster or slow rotation.
6) Repeat your observer with each of the eight planets. You can use the Search window (F3) to shift your view to each planet.
Q1 In your opinion, which planet had the most distinct appearance?
Q2: Which group of planets (terrestrial or Jovian) appear to have the most moons?
Q3: Which group of planets (terrestrial or Jovian) appear to have the fastest rotation?
Q4: Did you have any problem observing the rotation of any planet? If so, why do you think this was the case?
7) We can use the small angle formula to find the physical diameter of a planet. Select one planet and record its angular size in arcseconds and distance from the observer (Distance displayed in units of millions of km). The physical size of an astronomical object is equal to the angular size times the object’s distance divided by 206, 265 ( similar formula can be found in the textbook on page 29).
Q5: Compare your calculation with the planet radius information in the textbook (Chapter 6 or Appendix E). Is your calculated radius close to the known value?
9) Continue using Stellarium to test your individual hypothesis. If you need further direction, please ask your instructor.
Conclusion: In 1-2 paragraphs, explain if your observations and data support or conflict with your hypothesis and if you have met your assignment objective. Was there any portion of the assignment that was particularly interesting or difficult?
Thank you so much!Life saver!
Awesome paper! Very reliable and prompt
This was great!
Thank you. I will get back to you next week. There are more classes that I need help.
Thanks a lot. All good
I loved the service it was really fast & efficient. I ended up with an A in my class!
It was a pleasure working with you. You are really responsible and always do you’re best and of course, we will keep working together.
The essay and the Excel file looks good. Thank you for working with me throughout the project.
Thank you for the quick help. I was stuck.
You are a lifesaver. Thank you. I will be needing your help for the midterm exam.
I am very grateful for your help. Without you, I would have quit a long time ago. Appreciate your help 100%.
I know it is APA 7 and it should not have the running headers, but my professor insists on them. Please include them in the upcoming orders. Overall, I liked it and I will be submitting it tonight. Thank you.
Thank you for the help. All good.
You do an exceptional job, have gotten good grades n positive feedback/ comments from my professors since you started helping me.
Thanks. I will handle the replies.
Simple Order Process
Fill in the Order Form
Share all the assignment information. Including the instructions, provided reading materials, grading rubric, number of pages, the required formatting, deadline, and your academic level. Provide any information and announcements shared by the professor. Choose your preferred writer if you have one.
Get Your Order Assigned
Once we receive your order form, we will select the best writer from our pool of experts to fit your assignment.
Share More Data if Needed
You will receive a confirmation email when a writer has been assigned your task. The writer may contact you if they need any additional information or clarifications regarding your task
Let Our Essay Writer Do Their Job
Once you entrust us with your academic task, our skilled writers embark on creating your paper entirely from the ground up. Through rigorous research and unwavering commitment to your guidelines, our experts meticulously craft every aspect of your paper. Our process ensures that your essay is not only original but also aligned with your specific requirements, making certain that the final piece surpasses your expectations.
Quality Checks and Proofreading
Upon the completion of your paper, it undergoes a meticulous review by our dedicated Quality and Proofreading department. This crucial step ensures not only the originality of the content but also its alignment with the highest academic standards. Our seasoned experts conduct thorough checks, meticulously examining every facet of your paper, including grammar, structure, coherence, and proper citation. This comprehensive review process guarantees that the final product you receive not only meets our stringent quality benchmarks but also reflects your dedication to academic excellence.
Review and Download the Final Draft
If you find that any part of the paper does not meet the initial instructions, send it back to us with your feedback, and we will make the necessary adjustments.