Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection
For the Week Two assignment, class members will investigate how adaptations are a product of natural selection. Select one of the options and then follow the instructions below to develop a three-to four-page paper discussing the adaptations and selective pressure of your chosen species or group of species.
The paper should not include direct quotes but instead be written in your own words, paraphrasing academic sources as needed to develop content. There are several videos in this week’s required and recommended reading list to help you get started. If you need clarification or additional guidance, feel free to post questions in the Ask Your Instructor Forum or email me.
Options: Select one of the following five choices:
- Cheetahs can run faster than 60 miles per hour when chasing prey. How would a biologist explain how cheetahs evolved to run this fast, assuming their ancestors could only run 20 miles per hour?
- Bee pollinators are known to prefer yellow and blue flowers with nectar guides and a landing platform. How would a biologist explain the evolution of yellow and blue flowers, given that the first flowering plants where likely white and pink?
- Polar bears have white fur that blends in well with their arctic environment. The white fur is a type of camouflage that helps bears hunt seals. The polar bear ancestor is thought to have evolved from bears that had brown fur. How would a biologist explain the change from brown fur to white fur in polar bears?
- Molecular evidence shows that dogs are descended from gray wolves that were domesticated about 130,000 years ago. Suppose you wanted to turn a pack of wolves into a pack of poodles? Describe your strategy and explain why it would work.
- Plants with the C4 photosynthetic pathway have the ability to use water efficiently in warm, dry climates. C4 plants have evolved from C3 plants and first arose in grasses, probably during the Oligocene epoch (24–35 million yrs. ago). How can a biologist explain how C4 plants evolved?
Your paper should include the following points in your response to the above selection.
- Define natural selection and describe the two general conditions that lead to natural selection. Explain what conditions could have led to natural selection in your species or group of species.
- Explain the difference between your species genotype and phenotype and the role each has in natural selection.
- Describe processes other than natural selection that can alter the patterns of genetic variation in the species you selected.
- Explain how your species adaptations reflect trade-offs and constraints imposed by the physical environment and/or species interactions.
- Predict how increasing global temperatures will affect the adaptations of your chosen species. If you selected an animal, be specific with regards to body size and thermoregulation. If you selected a group of plant species, be specific to photosynthetic rates as well as water demand and use.
- The paper should include an introductory paragraph briefly describing your selection followed by a one-to two-sentence overview of the topics that you will discuss.
- The paper should end with a summary by reviewing the main points discussed and then drawing a conclusion.
- Use the following terminology in your paper: dominant allele, phenotype, phenotypic plasticity, genetic variation, selective agent, genetic differentiation, genotype, mutations, gene flow, assortative mating, random and non-random mating.
The Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection
- Must be double-spaced and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must reference at least three academic journal articles from the library databases (EBSCOHost, JSTOR, ProQuest) in addition to the course text. You may also use any of the assigned or recommended reading materials from the course.
MUST USE THE REQUIRED RESOURCES: THE TEXT AND 3 OTHER RESOURCES. ATTACHED ARE THE RESOURCES THAT MAY BE USED AND THE CHAPTERES NEEDED FOR THE ASSIGNMENT. MUST BE DONE ON TIME SO AS TO HAVE TIME FOR REVISIONS IF NEEDED. MUST DO ALL PARTS OF THE ASSIGNMENT !!!!!! ATTACHED IS THE GRADING RUBICS SO YOU KNOW EXATLY WHAT MUST BE INCLUDED!!! USE IT!!!!
Thank you so much!Life saver!
Awesome paper! Very reliable and prompt
This was great!
Thank you. I will get back to you next week. There are more classes that I need help.
Thanks a lot. All good
I loved the service it was really fast & efficient. I ended up with an A in my class!
It was a pleasure working with you. You are really responsible and always do you’re best and of course, we will keep working together.
The essay and the Excel file looks good. Thank you for working with me throughout the project.
Thank you for the quick help. I was stuck.
You are a lifesaver. Thank you. I will be needing your help for the midterm exam.
I am very grateful for your help. Without you, I would have quit a long time ago. Appreciate your help 100%.
I know it is APA 7 and it should not have the running headers, but my professor insists on them. Please include them in the upcoming orders. Overall, I liked it and I will be submitting it tonight. Thank you.
Thank you for the help. All good.
You do an exceptional job, have gotten good grades n positive feedback/ comments from my professors since you started helping me.
Thanks. I will handle the replies.
Simple Order Process
Fill in the Order Form
Share all the assignment information. Including the instructions, provided reading materials, grading rubric, number of pages, the required formatting, deadline, and your academic level. Provide any information and announcements shared by the professor. Choose your preferred writer if you have one.
Get Your Order Assigned
Once we receive your order form, we will select the best writer from our pool of experts to fit your assignment.
Share More Data if Needed
You will receive a confirmation email when a writer has been assigned your task. The writer may contact you if they need any additional information or clarifications regarding your task
Let Our Essay Writer Do Their Job
Once you entrust us with your academic task, our skilled writers embark on creating your paper entirely from the ground up. Through rigorous research and unwavering commitment to your guidelines, our experts meticulously craft every aspect of your paper. Our process ensures that your essay is not only original but also aligned with your specific requirements, making certain that the final piece surpasses your expectations.
Quality Checks and Proofreading
Upon the completion of your paper, it undergoes a meticulous review by our dedicated Quality and Proofreading department. This crucial step ensures not only the originality of the content but also its alignment with the highest academic standards. Our seasoned experts conduct thorough checks, meticulously examining every facet of your paper, including grammar, structure, coherence, and proper citation. This comprehensive review process guarantees that the final product you receive not only meets our stringent quality benchmarks but also reflects your dedication to academic excellence.
Review and Download the Final Draft
If you find that any part of the paper does not meet the initial instructions, send it back to us with your feedback, and we will make the necessary adjustments.