Search two blogging and two microblogging social media channels that businesses can use to gain competitive advantage and explain how has each changed the way information is communicated and used to influence social perception? In replies to peers, identify whether your organization or businesses within your field of study are using the social media channels identified. Are these channels effective in communicating with consumers and creating competitive advantage? Provide specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
How do companies use social media channel “influencers” to promote their product? Discuss any legal or ethical issues associated with this type of promotion? Provide a link to a specific example that illustrates your idea. In replies to peers, elaborate on the legal and ethical issues presented by peers by researching and discussing actual cases that illustrate the ideas presented. Include links to relevant articles in your reply.
The purpose of this assignment is to identify social media data collection strategies and the legal and ethical issues associated with social media data mining.
Conduct research to identify how business organizations mine social media to collect data so they can obtain a competitive advantage in the marketplace. Locate examples of several strategies and companies. You cannot use examples already referenced in the topic Resources. Research the legal and ethical issues that are associated with data mining activities, including specific laws that govern data mining and examples of companies that have faced legal issues and negative consequences as a result of ethical issues resulting from the data mining strategies they employed.
Create a PowerPoint presentation (minimum of eight content slides) that summarizes your findings and addresses the following. Include a reference slide at the end of the presentation.
- Describe strategies business organizations use to mine social media to collect data and provide supporting examples.
- Discuss how the data that are mined via social media can be used to create a competitive advantage for the business organizations.
- Describe legal issues associated with business data mining activities, including specific laws governing data mining practices.
- Provide an example of a company that faced legal issues as a result of the data mining strategies it employed.
- Discuss ethical issues associated with business data mining activities.
- Provide an example of a company that faced negative consequences as a result of ethical issues resulting from the data mining strategies it employed.
Practice delivering your PowerPoint. Using Loom, record your delivery of the PowerPoint presentation. Refer to the topic Resources for additional guidance on recording your presentation with Loom. Employ the following public speaking strategies:
- Speak slowly and clearly.
- Make eye contact.
- Present yourself in a professional manner.
- Make sure that you are visible in the video.
Refer to the resource, “Creating Effective PowerPoint Presentations,” located in the Student Success Center, for additional guidance on completing this assignment in the appropriate style.
Submit the PowerPoint presentation file with the link to the Loom video presentation as the last reference in the references list slide. Do not try to upload the video file: It will be too big and will not upload. Do not submit any other file format, such as an Adobe PDF file, or you will not earn full credit.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are not required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite.