Every student needs to prepare and verbally present one hazard research report during the semester. The objective of this activity is for students to get to know one another personally, discuss science in a fun context, and earn science discussion credit. A Hazard Research Presentation is a 5+ minute presentation. It is okay to go over the 5 minute mark by a short period, but please do not present for less than 5 minutes.
The topic of a Hazard Research Presentation needs to fit within one of the topics covered in the course (see schedule below—note that weather events like tornados and hurricanes and fires are NOT a topic in this course—to learn about these please take the dynamic atmosphere course.)
The student should select a major hazardous event that occurred either in their hometown or in a location especially meaningful to the student or their family. It is okay if the event to predates your birth. Please try to chose an event that no one else will present on. For this reason, the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake is off-limits. Please email your instructor for assistance choosing an event, if it is difficult to think up a unique idea.
Please keep in mind that this presentation should include geologic information that is uncovered by researching the event! Please keep your personal account to the first slide, to allow time for the science. Each presentation is worth 10-16 points total, depending on whether you chose a vitual or live option. The LIVE option earns more credit for less effort.
Each presentation should rely on lots of impressive visual photos and figures and maps. Please include a minimum of 5 slides including the following information:
1) Title / Introduction Slide—Discussion of the memorable event. When, What, Where? Tell us the story. Why did you chose this location? What happened? Recollect your personal experience of the event, the personal experience of a family member, and / or reports recorded by witnesses of the event. Please include a map of the region, including the nearest city impacted. (2 points)
2) Slide Two—Tectonic Setting of the chosen region. Where is the site of the hazard located with respect to the nearest plate boundary? Describe the plate boundary—what type of forces are present and what type of faults are most common given that plate boundary type? What is the rate of relative plate motion? Show us a map of the local and regional tectonic setting at this location. (2 points)
3) Geologic Setting—Describe the landforms… Is there a major river, mountain range, lake, volcano, ocean, etc.? How were these landforms created? What are the main rock types mapped in your area? Why are these rocks present and how did those rocks form? What is the long term history of geologic hazards at this location? Be sure to include vivid and information visuals. (2 points)
4) Cause of this Geologic Hazard—what happened to cause the incident and why? Please describe the chain of events from a science concept and geologic standpoint. [For example, if the event was a post-fire debris flow the chain of events probably is: a) the steep slope formed slowly over time, b) fire destroyed vegetation on this slope, c) roots that hold the soil together died off, d) major precipitation occurred, which rapidly coalesced on the ground as surface flow, e) surface water captured all the soil and rapidly moved it down the nearest channel is a massive slurry, e) this debris flow impacted houses and residents downstream.] (2 points)
5) What did geologists learn about geology from this event? How did the community adapt its safety plans since this event? What changes have people and businesses made to address future risk of similar hazards? (2 points)
Thank you so much!Life saver!
Awesome paper! Very reliable and prompt
This was great!
Thank you. I will get back to you next week. There are more classes that I need help.
Thanks a lot. All good
I loved the service it was really fast & efficient. I ended up with an A in my class!
It was a pleasure working with you. You are really responsible and always do you’re best and of course, we will keep working together.
The essay and the Excel file looks good. Thank you for working with me throughout the project.
Thank you for the quick help. I was stuck.
You are a lifesaver. Thank you. I will be needing your help for the midterm exam.
I am very grateful for your help. Without you, I would have quit a long time ago. Appreciate your help 100%.
I know it is APA 7 and it should not have the running headers, but my professor insists on them. Please include them in the upcoming orders. Overall, I liked it and I will be submitting it tonight. Thank you.
Thank you for the help. All good.
You do an exceptional job, have gotten good grades n positive feedback/ comments from my professors since you started helping me.
Thanks. I will handle the replies.
Simple Order Process
Fill in the Order Form
Share all the assignment information. Including the instructions, provided reading materials, grading rubric, number of pages, the required formatting, deadline, and your academic level. Provide any information and announcements shared by the professor. Choose your preferred writer if you have one.
Get Your Order Assigned
Once we receive your order form, we will select the best writer from our pool of experts to fit your assignment.
Share More Data if Needed
You will receive a confirmation email when a writer has been assigned your task. The writer may contact you if they need any additional information or clarifications regarding your task
Let Our Essay Writer Do Their Job
Once you entrust us with your academic task, our skilled writers embark on creating your paper entirely from the ground up. Through rigorous research and unwavering commitment to your guidelines, our experts meticulously craft every aspect of your paper. Our process ensures that your essay is not only original but also aligned with your specific requirements, making certain that the final piece surpasses your expectations.
Quality Checks and Proofreading
Upon the completion of your paper, it undergoes a meticulous review by our dedicated Quality and Proofreading department. This crucial step ensures not only the originality of the content but also its alignment with the highest academic standards. Our seasoned experts conduct thorough checks, meticulously examining every facet of your paper, including grammar, structure, coherence, and proper citation. This comprehensive review process guarantees that the final product you receive not only meets our stringent quality benchmarks but also reflects your dedication to academic excellence.
Review and Download the Final Draft
If you find that any part of the paper does not meet the initial instructions, send it back to us with your feedback, and we will make the necessary adjustments.